Workshop prep and more postcards

This week Ryan and I met to discuss the designed postcards and to go over the plans for
the company's workshop. This week was pretty hectic with planning, organizing, and a bunch
of emails. On top of all of this, I was really busy with school work and extracurriculars. I learned
a lot about time management and communication tips throughout this week.

The first order of business was to discuss were the postcards I had previously designed for print.
Besides changing a few of the wording on the back and adding ticket prices, the company shared
my enjoyment of how the cards turned out. I now needed to email the print company and hopefully,
they will be able to turn around the cards in a day so we can hand them out at the workshop.
Before emailing the print shop the final PDF print file, I was a little skeptical. I knew there weren't
any grammatical errors; I was worried if I had set up the document correctly. If you’ve been following
my blog at all, you know my lack of experience and confidence with designing graphics for print.
Before this internship, I barely knew how to set crop or bleed marks. With my fingers crossed,
I sent the email.


It was a success...   


The print shop could access the file. The postcards were headed through the printer just in time
for the workshop. Now my main focus was on the workshop. I don’t think I’ve mentioned the workshop
before on this blog, so I’ll give you a brief understanding now!


The production that Quarry Theatre is creating is a devised piece. This means that the entire show
is created by the company of artists and ensemble of actors. In this case, historical events were
used to create different stories around nationalism. With all forms of art, including web/graphic design,
art is never finished. You can continue to create, expand, and tailor your work of art. That was the
goal of this workshop. To perform ‘Meditations on Nationalism’ before a small group of like-minded
artists. They would then give feedback on the show so changes could be made before it premieres
this summer.


Now that you have a brief understanding of the workshop and its purpose we can talk about my
role in the process. Since the workshop was taking place in Stevenson University's Movement Studio
on the Greenspring Campus, it was crucial we had signage directing audience members to the
theatre. I was responsible for designing and setting up these signs. Using our Quarry Theatre logo
(for consistent brand recognition) I designed a few signs with arrows to help guide patrons.
These signs were the first thing the customers would see so I wanted them to be clear and concise.


With the signs designed, we needed one more graphic to be prepared for the upcoming workshop.
Ryan Clark wanted a letterhead with the logo, date and some simple border to be used as a
feedback sheet. This project was a simple 5-minute design since I already had the logo designed
and just needed to add two lines of text. I printed these out along with the sign and was ready to
set up for the Workshop the upcoming weekend.  


Check out my next blog to see how the workshop turned out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking on your feet

Behind the Curtain