People still use postcards?

The majority of donors and people interested in coming to Quarry Theatre shows are in the 25+
demographic. Even with social media being a big part of marketing nowadays, these consumers
still appreciate mailed letters and printed flyers. For this reason, we decided to create postcards
with the information for ‘Meditation on Nationalism’ on them. These could be used in so many
different ways to get people interested in the show.


One way we will use the postcards are for their intended purpose; mail them. We have a small
list of donors who love to be kept in the loop and possibly will donate again further down the road.
The postcards are also a convenient size to hand out in bars, restaurants, events, and to passing
people.


Since I was going to be submitting this project to a print shop in Baltimore (Print Work), I needed to
set up my document with the correct crop marks for the printer. We wanted the cards to be 4in x 6in,
I set the crop marks for a bleed of .25in outside of the cropped area. Since I am usually a digital
native when it comes to design, I tend to stray away from print design because sometimes I just don’t
get it. This project, however, wasn’t too daunting because it was fairly simple. There were no folds,
and the print only appeared on the front and back side of the card. With a layout set up in Illustrator,
I was ready to start designing.


Since the back of the postcard was just going to have a variation design on the ‘Meditation on
Nationalism’ design that I already created, it seemed pretty straightforward. I resized a few
objects from the flyer and made it fit onto the size of the postcard. After adding the text in its
specific font, I was ready to move onto the back. Using the same design on the postcard will
help promote the voice and branding of ‘Meditations On Nationalism’ and keep it consistent
on all platforms or mediums.




I wanted the back of the cards to clearly display the important information for the production.
Using some typography tricks I learned in my Corporate design class and focusing on highlighting
the important information, I started to design the other side of the postcard. After I had a simple
layout that worked, I moved over to the logo side of the postcard. I really like the relationship
between the website and the logo as I used it on the postcard. I will definitely use this layout for
my future designs.

This project was a lot of fun to do and it taught me the importance of staying true to the brand’s
identity. Consumers really recognized consistent branding across all platforms, even extending
to print materials. Ryan Clark (The Artistic Director for Quarry Theatre) have a meeting later this
week to discuss the design. After we proofread the copy and design, it will be sent to the print shop
to be printed before Quarry Theatre’s workshop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking on your feet

Behind the Curtain

Workshop prep and more postcards