We Mean Business (*cards*)

In order for Quarry Theatre to maintain a professional presence when communicating with donors,
we needed business cards. With a small company consisting of an Artist Director, Assistant Artistic
Director, and composer, it is crucial that these three roles are easily reachable at all times. The best way for them to share their contact information is by handing out business cards.  


Approaching the design I really wasn't sure where to start. Quarry Theatre has a pretty consistent
brand image so I knew I needed to create fresh, smart designs for the business cards. I decided to
start this design like I would any other; with a paper and a pencil. I used a few sketches to create a
general layout that I liked. After a good 20 minutes of sketching, I moved into Adobe Illustrator.


I prefer using Illustrator when dealing with vectors and simple text-based vector designs. I feel that
the software offers ease of use and great tools to get the job done. I created a few samples of the
design and exported them to a pdf for the company members to look at and give feedback.


The group met with me and looked at the various designs I had put together. We had a productive
conversation and settled on one of the three designs I had mocked up. The next step was to get the
business cards printed so they could be used by the company members.  


We chose to have the business cards printed at staples because they provided the cheapest price
and we would be able to pick the cards up the following morning. I spent some time resizing the
business cards in Illustrator to the dimensions specified by the staples printing center. Next, I
uploaded the high-resolution images to the Staples online print center.

The following day I took a ride to Staples to pick up the finished printed cards. They turned out
really good and everyone was happy to have a way to give out their contact information. This project
helped me realize the huge need for design in any type of company. So many aspects of marketing
rely on good design to drive business. Without good design, you cannot effectively market a product
no matter how enticing it may be.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking on your feet

Behind the Curtain

Workshop prep and more postcards